Heaven Must be Missing a Brownie

These are the best brownies we've tasted, better than from a bakery! I found the recipe in an old box of recipes I received from a friend. These brownies are fully loaded and not for those weak of willpower or strong on cholesterol. The name of the brownies and the notations on the card from the original baker urged me to give them a try.

The original baker's notes on the recipe card are "Wonderful" ... "Yummy" ... "These really MUST be from Heaven!"

I totally agree.


BROWNIES FROM HEAVEN
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teas. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 cup chopped walnuts, optional


In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar (I used a hand mixer). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and coca in another bowl; add to creamed mixture just until combined. Stir in walnuts if desired.
Spread into an ungreased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.


FROSTING
1/2 cup butter, softened
3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup baking cocoa
1/4 cup milk

1 teas vanilla extract

For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread over brownies. Cut into bars. Yields 2 dozen bars.

My notes: I sieved the cocoa powder and flour together to break up any cocoa clumps and for a good mix of the two; I did not add walnuts to this batch but they would make a welcome addition, as would pecans or almonds.
To cut down on some fat and calories: You can use margarine as a substitute for the butter; I substituted 1% for the milk; I would assume you could substitute egg product for the eggs.

Comments

Popular Posts